Struggling with incubation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alice1990, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Alice1990

Alice1990 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    I'm on my second round of incubation, as I couldn't successful hatch any ducklings the first time. I bought a new incubator as the original one was old and borrowed. I am on day 17 with the new duckling eggs now, but I'm not convinced they are developing as planned.

Please could you have a look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Alice[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Some maybe, but there is some that are bad. What kind of ducks? What kind of new incubator? I hope if you got a Styrofoam from TSC you bought another meter because of so many problems with the built in ones. If its one of those yellow ones all over E-bay/internet-----Them has been getting a lot of bad reports too?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Does not look good...

Try her...She is fantastic!..:)

@WVduckchick

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm sorry, I don't see any development in any of them

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I also don't see development.

Maybe we can help you figure out what's going wrong. First off, a lot of those look to have wonky air cells. Are these shipped eggs? What type of incubator are you using? What have you been keeping your temp and humidity at? Have you used an outside thermometer that is calibrated and you know to be correct to verify the temp?

I'm thinking you have one of those cheap incubators from China, judging from the pictures. Those a really awful and truth be told you're not likely to ever get good hatches in it. If you want to hatch I'd get rid of it and get a different incubator, maybe something like a Brinsea Mini if you want the small size, or perhaps an Incuview if you'd like more space for around the same amount of money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by