Struting turkey poults

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by a1ejan9ra, Jul 9, 2016.

1. a1ejan9ra

a1ejan9ra New Egg

May 1, 2015
    Hello,

I have a question for anyone that has raised turkey poults. It is my first time raising them and I noticed that some of the poults like to "strut (see below)" when they want to be held. Can this behavior be used as a means to sex them? I tried to search online and only found one case were a person mentions the it and links it with sex. In that case (N=1), the poult turned out to be a hen. Does anyone have more insight into this behavior?

Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your image isn't showing. Hens will display but usually only as adults. If your poults are displaying they are probably toms.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    One of mine has been doing that since a few weeks old, again just when he's coming up to be held. He turned two months old today and so I still don't know sec but his legs are thick and heavy I'm inclined to say he. Hopefully I remember to post back when I know for sure for the future readers.

4. V8muscle

V8muscle New Egg

Dec 8, 2015
    My gobbler started strutting pretty much around the same time he was fully feathered. He was a bit bigger than yours but he is an artesian gold. He gobbled for the first time today that I heard. I got him early April from southern states during their chick days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by