Strutting Poult = Male?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Stacykins, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    My poults are three weeks old, so they can't really be sexed. But I did notice one of my adorable little poults drooping its wings and fanning its tail to strut for a minute or two, before going back to regular poult activities! Does this mean that the poult is male?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    yes I had one that about 10days old and he would do the same thing turned out to be a tom.

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I had three bourbon reds strutting last year. Two ended up being hens. So strutting poults might be toms [​IMG]

4. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Both sexes do that at that age. They will start with that and go into neck fighting to test each other. It is really cute though for something that size to puff up like they are very big! [​IMG]

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    It is certainly adorable, though most chick behavior is!

So hens do it too, lol. I guess I gotta stare at them for some more weeks until I know who is who when it comes to their sex! Thanks, all!

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I agree. My females strut as well.

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    So what's the best way to tell sex? And at what age? I am CLUELESS and mine are 6 weeks [​IMG]

8. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    this one turned out to be a tombut, females have done it too!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    So what's the best way to tell sex? And at what age? I am CLUELESS and mine are 6 weeks

You can probably tell some of yours now, and others are probably still obscure. Watch for developing snoods and caruncles. Males will also start to get a little larger and get thicker legs. Some people are good a seeing feminine features in young hens, but I can't do that very well. By ten weeks you should be able to tell most of them.​

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Those of ours that exhibited persistence of mock sparring were, indeed, male. The females tended to `hit and run'. Males also seem to develop a more a `cubic' skull and larger tibiotarsal joints early on (RP's & Slates). I suppose eversion would be more accurate, but we're not in that much of a rush to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by