1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strutting Roaster Breed????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Froghorn, May 26, 2011.

1. Froghorn

Froghorn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    Ok. I saw a beautiful rooster today. He looked almost like a Black Copper Maran with those colors but wasn't a Copper. The owner didn't know what breed he was. She thought some sort of European. He strutted like I have never seen a chicken or rooster strut. I mean really strut. He picked his feet really high in his strut. That was his normal walk. It was unbelievable. His spears were huge. Does anyone know what kind or breed this rooster could be??? He was gorgeous. I wouldn't mind having one.

2. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Did he have feathered legs? You say he looks like a Maran; there are feather-legged Marans and clean-legged ones.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. Froghorn

Apr 27, 2010
    Quote:No he didn't. I am pretty sure it wasn't a Maran. I have Marans. Besides mine don't strut like that. I would say it is more like a prance.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Doubt it's because of his breed. My Delaware rooster struts pretty well himself sometimes. Also, scaly leg mites can make a rooster high step, believe it or not, which of course, is not a good thing.

See what I mean? And spurs will grow long if no one trims them. Isaac's are maybe three inches long now:
    [​IMG]

5. Froghorn

Apr 27, 2010
    Wow! I didn't know you had to trim spurs. I am a green horn. I have only been doing this a couple years. Only first got one rooster a year ago but I have not seen anyone elses rooster do this or have spurs that long. If he had mites all the rest of the flock would have them. None of the rest did that.

6. Froghorn

Apr 27, 2010
    xx

Last edited: May 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by