1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stryofoam Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Keisha, May 13, 2007.

1. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Last edited: May 13, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The first two times I hatched chicks I used a cardboard box and a heat lamp.
    Anything that keeps temperature and humidity would work.
    A styrofoam one will be much cheaper than buying one.

It's up to you. A bought plastic one or if you make a wood one will last longer and be easier to disinfect.

3. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    thanks for your input! my chickens have been laying for a while now, and the rooster lives with then, so i am hoping to incubate them. i am going to try and just make my own. using my own directions, and if this does not work, i'll go for the stryfoam incubator, and if that doesn't work. i'll buy one, i'm just really interested in finding out what works and what doesn't. so the rooster lives with the two hens all the time. so is there any chance that any of the eggs arent fertilized or not? and how long does it take for an egg to die, she doesnt lay on them, so like how many hours would the egg not beable to hatch?

4. Keisha

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    how succesful was it for you to do that. and my heat lamp is currently being used for my chicks in the coop, though i'm not sure how much longer they will be needing it. but, is there any other lights i can use?

5. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I used a 70 quart Coleman Cooler. Similar idea. Only I used 2 Light Bulbs for heat. It worked Great. Eleven out of thirteen eggs hatched. Dunno what I got right for my first time. Maybe it was beginner's luck.

6. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by