Stubborn Broody! advice needed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DutchieWannabe, Sep 29, 2010.

1. DutchieWannabe

DutchieWannabe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    Ok My dark Cornish has been broody for about 2 weeks or so, i was just gonna wait it out, but then I decided to be active, so i created a freecycle version of a broody buster with an old broken box fan and laundry basket. anyhoo, she has been in for three days so far and the two times i have tried letting her out to see what she does, she goes straight for the nest, determined to hatch the golf ball inside. so back to the broody buster with fresh food and clean water..... how long will she have to sit miserabley in that thing? also its been in the 90's here during the day, will the heat make it harder to "bust the broodyness"? I have is set up inside the coop, she can see her nest... should i move her so she cant see it? ... I can tell she is so unhappy about being stuck in there, i hope this ends soon. any advice is welcome![​IMG]

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Send her here I need a broody. Try taking the golf balls out

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Depending on how cool it might be there, I've read of some people dunking them neck deep in a 5 gallon bucket of cool water. Sounds cruel yes, I've never done it myself, but it's supposed to cool them down since a broody runs hot...or so I've heard. [​IMG]

4. DutchieWannabe

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    how long/ often for dunking? i wouldnt try that, at least not for a few more days in the *buster* hmmmm I'll also try removing the golf balls, but this girl will lay on anything! the first few days of broodiness i kicked her out of the nest she went right to my tomato plants where some tomatoes had dropped on the ground, she gathered a few with her beak and sat on them!!! funny girl.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Awww, give the poor girl a baby or two.

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I have more experience with this than I want to have. I have done the dunking thing. It has worked for me every time. You hold them in cold water until the under belly is wet. You have to cool the under belly. Do it and then put her in solitary again for 1 full day and night and see if it breaks her. If not a second dunk willl usually do the trick.

7. DutchieWannabe

Aug 18, 2010
    Idaho
    Thanks all, I would give her some babies except i'm already above the legal limit for chickens in my city! "rebel with egg-cause" [​IMG] anyways i also read that moving the broody buster into a more well lit area might help too, so that is what i did this morning. and if that doesnt help than maybe a cool down bath will have to come next.

8. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:I also separate the broody in another pen away from her nest. But three days is not enough for some hens. Some need one week or so, to brake her broodyness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by