Stubborn Broody Buff Orpington!

ccewart

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2017
My 2 year old Buff Orpington has gone broody big time. I first tried continuously taking her out of her nest box multiple times but when I returned later, she was always back in. I then blocked the box she uses but she just went in another box. I then tried putting huge rocks in all 4 nest boxes overnight but in the morning she was sitting on top of one of the rocks! So now she has been in chicken jail for 4 days. When I let her out for some exercise with my other 3 chickens, her behavior is a little less broody (no puffing up her feathers, no constant clicking, less crabby behavior) but she goes in the dust bath and seems to be trying to make a nest there. Should I continue with chicken jail? I do not want to get her fertile eggs or chicks to raise - I already have 2 new 6 week old chickens in my house and I do not want to risk getting a rooster...
Any suggestions?

Thanks - I will keep her in her “jail cell” without a break. I was feeling like she needed some exercise to keep her healthy. She has food and water - is it OK to give her some treats like meal worms?

When I let her out for some exercise with my other 3 chickens, her behavior is a little less broody (no puffing up her feathers, no constant clicking, less crabby behavior) but she goes in the dust bath and seems to be trying to make a nest there.
..or is she having a a good dust bath and 'lounge'?
Unless she goes back to a coop nest I'd leave her be.
I let mine out late in day after everyone's is done laying and block the nests.
If they go to roost I call it done.

Thanks for all your help on dealing with my broody Buff Orpington - I am happy to report that Buffy is back to her old self for the time being. I am keeping my jail set up just in case she gets broody again...

Back
Top Bottom