Stubborn Broody- Will it ever end?

rgardiner7000

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2021
Help!
My Myrna is 1.5 years old. This summer has been hot and she has gone BROODY. Seriously, seriously broody.
She does all the clucking, staying in the nesting box with/without eggs, puffing up, attacking other chickens, fanning out her wings and feathers, stamping around, shrieking when I enter the coop, etc.

We have tried everything:
-Moving her from the box
-Removing fake eggs
-Booting her out of box at every chance we get
-Fencing her out of the coop
-Dunking her in cool bath
-Putting waterbottles/frozen corn under her belly
-Taking her for a drive
-Holding her inside with AC
-Chicken Jail

I am at my wits end here and I just want to know, will it ever stop? IT HAS BEEN OVER 3 WEEKS!!!!!
I know that I can't "break" her....she's just too stubborn, but I want to know if she'll ever go back to normal.

My other chickens are totally freaked out by her and by all of my interventions! They are a tight-knit group; I have 6 hens including Myrna and no roosters. They free-range all day with lots of snacks, room, etc, and only go into the coop at night all on their own.

Any advice is SO MUCH APPRECIATED!

I've had success with a very stubborn broody by putting her in an elevated wire dog crate for 5 days straight. If it's hot, she gets dunked in cool water multiple times a day and a fan is blown through the crate.
The crate is kept in a busy part of the run.
How long did you crate her and what kind of crate did you use?

When I tried the "chicken jail" before, I didn't have a crate but I used a bird-cage turned on its side so it was long, instead of tall. It seemed like it was a good solution, but today I got a new crate and I'm giving it another try. I'm housing her inside with AC. hope this works! She's very grumpy at me.

image0 (29).jpeg

@DobbieLover - :confused:

I know, I know...but it was 10 days of temperatures above 108. I was afraid to confine her anywhere. My DH would not take to a chicken in the house. So I left her, I would toss her out, every time I was there...

And she is so determined, and pretty soon it was 15 days, then ... I didn't think I could get chicks, thought about an egg...turns out I could...got the roosters harvested...lots more space...

UGH I am a quitter, I am not quite sure why, I am a teacher and definitely follow a plan there, but I just don't stick with a chicken plan.

Guilty as charged! haha

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom