Stubborn eggs won't turn?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gritsar, Jan 13, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Brinsea eco advance.

Two of the eggs, normal in appearance, i.e., like a large store bought egg, won't turn when the auto turner comes on. They are pointed end down (and facing out), but manage to back themselves up against the water well and get stuck that way.

Is there a solution that anyone has found for this problem?

TIA [​IMG]

2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have the Brinsea Oct 20 eco, so I am not positive if the inside of mine is the same as yours, but mine has the black plastic tray and then metal rails used to hold the eggs up. Are yours in racks like that?? If so I am not sure how your egg is moving close to the water well.....hmmm I guess I am not much help. [​IMG] I have seen people stick wadded up wax paper etc to fill in gaps and keep eggs stable.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  4. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    oh ok that make sense to me now after seeing the picture. I know there are a lot of people who have those so hopefully someone will chime in and help. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks for trying to help Daisy. Have a great day! [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Curious. I have two of those bators (fired up right now!) and have never had that problem. Have you tried tweaking the turn angle to see if that makes a difference? Just a thought.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Curious. I have two of those bators (fired up right now!) and have never had that problem. Have you tried tweaking the turn angle to see if that makes a difference? Just a thought.

Yes, and that helped with another stubborn egg but one is still being a PITA. I hate to keep opening the bator to fix it, but it's messing with my OCD mind. [​IMG]

8. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I had the exact same problem. I think the biggest issue is that they knock into each other and that forces them to get "stuck" on the side of the well. I upped the angle to 15 and it seemed to take care of it for the most part. Although a couple days later I was able to remove some clears, and haven't had that problem since. Good luck!

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Bet it is one of the larger eggs. Really, try that "15" angle fix already suggested.

Also, with all 7 spots filled, there is less of that problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by