1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stubborn husband, mean roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by columbiacritter, May 3, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Well after being spurred in the head and getting some nice spur lacerations from his Dutch roo about a month ago my husband trimmed his spurs but not his wings. He didn't want to mess up his appearance even though he's not at all a show bird.

Yesterday for no reason what so ever the same roo flew up and spurred his head again. This time with little dmage because his spurs were blunted, still, he drew blood. The husband agreed to the wing trim finally, now the roo can't get much more than 3 feet off the ground. Been hilarious watching him try to launch up to his old crowing spots and not getting even close.

His brother, who is much nicer behaved is still allowed to fly up and ride on shoulders plus he CAN reach all the best crowing spots. It'll be interesting to see if their dominance standings change with each other.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:This always kills me... how does a grown man get lacerations from a very small bird?

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Perhaps your husband needs some handling tips, and 'situational awarness' training instead of punishing the bird to a life on the ground.

3. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:This always kills me... how does a grown man get lacerations from a very small bird?

Perhaps your husband needs some handling tips, and 'situational awarness' training instead of punishing the bird to a life on the ground.

This is what kills ME....attacking the OP for posting.

Maybe her husband is a 'small person' ...?

How is wing clipping a punishment? I would think eating the bird would be a harsher lesson!

Even the best handlers can be spurred on occasion.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Small person or not, proper handling should alleviate *most* if not all the chances of being spurred or injured by a chicken.

And wing clipping one bird, and not all the birds is a punishment as that bird is now limited to the ground when all the others are able to move around. Kinda like being the last kid picked in gym class, undue stress to the bird, simply for being a bird.

And that wasn't an attack, that was an opinion, as insinuated by the "doesn't make any sense to me" part.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Well, anyway, I'd also be interested to know if this changes the dominance situation. Let us know.

6. mtcougar832

mtcougar832 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    Northwest Montana
    Quote:Yeah I'd have eaten him (or made dogfood if he is old). I clipped only 1 bird - the only one who flys out of the coop - for her own safety.

7. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I would have done exactly the same thing.

8. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    I had an aggressive rooster. When I went in the coop, I carried a walking stick. I didn't hit him just blocked him if needed.

I finally rehomed him...no need to keep an aggressive rooster when there are so many nice ones out there. [​IMG]

9. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon

Have you ever really looked at a roosters untrimmed spurs???? They are very sharp spikes the roos know how to use to do the most damage.

This is a small Dutch bantam who could easily launch himself from the ground and hit you in the back of the head HARD! He was flying up to our second story deck rail to perch and crow his head off.

10. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon

This is what kills ME....attacking the OP for posting.

Maybe her husband is a 'small person' ...?

How is wing clipping a punishment? I would think eating the bird would be a harsher lesson!

Even the best handlers can be spurred on occasion.

My husband is 5'6". The roo is a very strong flyer.

We thought we'd dealt with his aggression issues a month ago. He's shown no signs of being a problem at all since having his spurs clipped short. He'd been out and about in the yard many times and just been a happy roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by