Stubborn Labrador Retriever & chicken food!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by humphrey farms, Oct 13, 2012.

1. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    The dog has been scolded for foraging free hand spread grain. Doesn't stop her. She tips over the metal containers and eats the spill on the ground. ( Darn dog! We do feed her!) Our chickens just have a coop w/free access to an acre fenced in for our dogs which is allowed to grow naturally. Old farm land with very rich soil. Everything is A-OK except the food thing. I hate shutting the coop doors especially now as the weather is getting foul here in Maine. I leave grain in a metal bowl in the coop as well as water. QUESTION: Can chickens feed from a tube shape bird feeder???? The long plastic type that you hang?? Thank for any input! Labs are like chickens! They have stainless steel stomachs and eat anything and EVERYTHING!! [​IMG]

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I solved this problem by mixing cayenne pepper in with my feed. I put a tablespoon per two cups of feed. I buy the cayenne at the farmer's market, rather cheap, in 5 lb bags. The chickens and geese can't taste it but it deters the dogs, not to mention it might have some deworming effect.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  3. humphrey farms

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    I will have to try this remedy. Thanks. What about the tube like bird feeder? Any thoughts?

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    I used a gravity style deer feeder for my scratch in the yard. You and see it in my avatar. you can also get them with a timer to drop food on schedules. Or bird feeder will also work.. My feeder for layer is a 5 gallon bucket with 4 holes drilled in the bottom with a 3 gallon metal pan attached to the bottom.

5. humphrey farms

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    I like the gravity style deer feeder. I am going to mention it to my son.[​IMG]

6. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    You will have to take a piece of plastic to make the hole smaller, or the scratch grains will just pour out.. I made mine just a bit larger than the rod diameter. Oh and my labs like the recycled chicken food. Nasty.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  7. humphrey farms

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    Aren't they awful! those Labs![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by