stubborn mites on bantam butts

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by coldwetnoz, Nov 19, 2010.

1. coldwetnoz

coldwetnoz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Well, I've tried everything except ivermectin on my chickens to get rid of mites and I just ordered a bottle. I've tried sevin, Adams spray, Scalex, DE, and finally tried that expensive Frontline. Even the Frontline didn't work. My bantams only get them on their behinds, mostly right on the little oil gland on the top/base of the tail. This leads me to believe the mites they have are a type that likes to eat the flaky stuff off the feathers. I rarely find them on the actual vent, just on the oil gland area. And they are like black dirt, never red. Every day I either spray with an insecticide or I take pet flea shampoo and soap up their behinds and spray it off, just to get the mite dirt off.

Now I'm hoping Ivermectin, my last resort will keep the nasty little bugs off my chickens. BTW I've been searching the archives to get the correct doseage so I'm ready to get started! [​IMG]

coldwetnoz

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    You can try suffocating them by putting some thick on them, like crisco. Yeah, it make a tremendous mess, but once they die and fall off, then you can clean them up.

3. coldwetnoz

coldwetnoz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Yuk....Don't think I want to go that route! Anyway, the survivors would just crawl to another spot. I'm hoping the Ivermectin will do the job. They've built resistance to about everything else.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by