1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stubborn newbies to the flock...what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Raz'sRoost, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Raz'sRoost

Raz'sRoost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Ludington
    Ok, so got my first flock this spring...9 RIRs, a roo, and two D' Uccle's. The female millie D Uccle passed away at 6 weeks and my Andrew has seemed lonely ever since. The light bulb went off in my head and of course bought some new babies to raise in hopes that Andrew could have some partners:) After getting a frizzle and a black D' Uccle...when I asked the lady for all D' Uccles, but what the hay, too cute to get rid of right, this will work anyway.

So two weeks ago I figure it is time to start putting the babies in the coop with the rest, they were 12wks old, getting too big for their temp home and had been free ranging with the big ones during the day(but keeping a distance from the bigger ones).

DH and I spent 4 nights carrying the two out to the coop and settling them in...since they didn't seem to know what to do. On the 5th day the heavens opened up and they went on their own! We were so excited! For a few days they were content to stay in or around the coop all on their own, so figured they were doing well.

Now all of a sudden they have taken to either staying up on the porch or perching in a tree next to the coop all night...what is going on?! My dear Andrew has not completly warmed to them, but not attacking them either, and last night refused to go to coop without them...wandering the yard looking for them.

I need some suggestions on what to do. Am I going about this all wrong? Should they have a place all their own? Or will they get it sooner or later? Winter is coming and I am getting worried. HELP

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Am I going about this all wrong? Should they have a place all their own? Or will they get it sooner or later? Winter is coming and I am getting worried. HELP

You are not doing anything wrong.

Can you lock them in the coop for a week or two so they will learn that it is home? They will not get it themselves sooner or later; and outside at night is a dangerous place for chickens.
    Once they get it you'll worry less (maybe [​IMG] )
    Good luck

Imp​

3. Raz'sRoost

Raz'sRoost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Ludington
    Thank you for your reply IMP. I can lock them up....just been dreading it since they free range and snow will be here soon so they won't be able to get anything from the free ranging till spring.

Does anyone else struggle with trying to be a good parent to their chickens? [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What a question, lol!! Of course we do!! I worry myself to death about whether I'm "doing things right" or not. You're a good chicken parent [​IMG]
    My "free ranging" right now consists of a chicken-wired section of land connected to their regular (roomy) covered run, and I only allow them out in it whenever I'm sitting right there with them. I'm an OCD-BYCer...lol. I excuse my behavior with their age...only 6 weeks.

And I agree with the OP...I know you hate to do it, but they're gonna' have to learn that HOME is HOME. Like you, I'm trying to let them enjoy what little nice weather we have left. But maybe it'll only take about a week of being "cooped up."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by