Stubborn RIRs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigRedNZ, Apr 17, 2012.

1. BigRedNZ

BigRedNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    We got 2 RIRs in early December, and were told they were about 12 weeks old. Now they're big beauties, kinda scatty, and not a single egg.

Our other 3 are off the lay and just recovering from their molt. Do chickens get in sync like girls at a boarding house? I got them out of cycle to try and get eggs all year, now we have none.

Any thoughts?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Guessing here from your name, but NZ, being in the southern hemisphere is entering a very low light, dark time of year? You might try having a light come on, using a timer, at 5 am. You can have it go off at 8 am, once natural sunrise has occurred. Many birds benefit from a little "light therapy" during the shorter days of the year. Just something to try.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

The earlier comment about light is a valid one. There is something else to consider too.

What are you feeding her? I made the mistake of feeding my RIR (and her companions) too many treats. I then learned that if chickens get overweight, they may well go off-lay. So now I don't feed treats until the late afternoon and not every day. All the nutrients they need are in their pellets or mash, so they need to be encouraged to eat that first.

Since I've changed their diet, my RIR has started laying again.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I agree but would add some greens to their diet will help.

5. BigRedNZ

BigRedNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. They're feed layers pellets and what ever they scrounge free ranging.

The treats are silver beet and wheat but only in the evenings and just a couple of handfuls amongst all 5 birds.

Can't do lights, no power at the coop.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Their diet seems good Freds right its probably the light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by