Stubborn Scaly Leg Mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by koolfunchicks, Apr 5, 2018.

1. koolfunchicks

koolfunchicks In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    After reading the multitude of posts here and elsewhere re: scaly leg mite treatment, I have a few questions for y'all. First, a little history: flock of 9 (1-2 years old), four showing signs, the two Brahmas have it bad. For the past two weeks, I've been treating entire flock: 1) Cleaned entire coop (boxes, roosts, henhouse, run perches) and sprayed with permethrin spray; 2) Soaked, oiled, greased (have used vaseline, Green Goo, NuStock) legs 3 times and have greased up legs an additional 3 times; 3) Plan to dose with pour-on ivermectin once it arrives (hopefully today).

My questions:
    1) Should I clean/spray coop again and if so when? It has been 10 days since I sprayed.
    2) Will I need to give a follow-up dose of ivermectin and if so, when?
    3) How many more "spa treatments" (soak and oil/vaseline) are needed?
    4) I have read that the scales may stay lifted until the next molt which I would expect to happen in November. If that is the case, how do I tell when the leg mites are gone?

THANK YOU all for your help. This forum has been a lifesaver on so many levels.

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    koolfunchicks likes this.
  3. koolfunchicks

Nov 4, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Cyprus, thanknyou for the link. I've read through it and while helpful, it still doesn't answer my questions directly. I am hoping someone who has had success in treating SLM will chime in with answers. As many have remarked, this is a frustrating one to deal with. Thanks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    TheChickenChick.com has a good article with pictures if you Google “poultry lice and mite identification.” I have had good luck with Crisco shortening once a week, and many swear about castor oil being good and needing fewer applications. I have seen others post about repeating ivermectin pour on in 14 days, but cannot find a link for that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Farmer Connie and koolfunchicks like this.
  5. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I mixed the Ivermectin pour-on in a baggie with some Vaseline (just kinda squished it together). Rubbed it on maybe twice, about 3-4 days apart. Did one full coop clean-out, and sprayed with Gordon's permethrin, and haven't had any more issues. (only had issues on one rooster, fairly heavy infestation, and 3-4 pullets/hens, milder issues)

I would say your treatment plan would partially depend on the severity and size of everything.

6. koolfunchicks

Nov 4, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will try the ivermectin with the vaseline on their legs. My two Brahmas have shown signs for months. I treated them last fall with vaseline but failed to spray the coop. I hoped they would improve but clearly they didn't. I was hesitant to use any "non-natural" treatments but now I am willing to try anything---except the gasoline treatment as that just seems cruel, and dangerous.

WVduckchick likes this.
  7. koolfunchicks

Nov 4, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    How do know when they are gone?

8. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    I'm saying this will NOT be your miracle cure, but yrs ago we stopped an epidemic of leg mites by taking a kiddie pool and filling it up with only 4-1/2 inches or so with a strong water solution of Epson salt. It was kinda like having the chicken wading in the water like ducks. Except only enough water to soak their legs. To keep them from flying out we had a wire fencing looped tightly around the pool. This photograph is an example only. The photo is of a transition brooder, although same principle, without the pine shavings but with the the Epson salt water. Pool floor, wire wall & pool roof. Super cheap if you have a Dollar General in your area.
    20180405_131906.jpg
    After the effected birds soaked for a while, we dried their legs and placed a generous glob of Vaseline. A very generous amount.
    Housing was dusted out with sevin dust.
    It took a little while for the scales to heal but soaking them seemed to work for us.
    EDITED FOR BAD GRAMMAR

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In my elderly rooster who had leg mites, his scales started to come back in all healthy looking and soft after he was treated several times. Before, he had even had sore and painful legs, and now seems more relaxed and comfortable.

WVduckchick and Farmer Connie like this.
  10. koolfunchicks

Nov 4, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    This is a GREAT idea to get them all soaking at once. Tis the season for wading pools. I will grab one in my next trip to Walmart. I see a spa day in my girls future;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: