Stuborn Broody

jep1202

Hatching
Sep 21, 2016
I am new to raising chickens and this is my first batch. They are about 6 months old and was getting 4-5 eggs a day. I have five hens and right now I have one who has gone broody. All my chicken are in one location and share the nesting area ( I have two nesting boxes witch they don't use) they made their own nest in the straw I have down in a large coop. So far the last two days I have only received two eggs. I have look everywhere to see if they have been laying some place else with no luck.. I read about taking her out and putting her with the others which I have done a number of times over the last two day and she just runs back as soon as I open the door. ( I was keeping the door closed). I'm not sure what to do... do I just leave her in there? Please help!!!

New chicken mom!

I am new to raising chickens and this is my first batch. They are about 6 months old and was getting 4-5 eggs a day. I have five hens and right now I have one who has gone broody. All my chicken are in one location and share the nesting area ( I have two nesting boxes witch they don't use) they made their own nest in the straw I have down in a large coop. So far the last two days I have only received two eggs. I have look everywhere to see if they have been laying some place else with no luck.. I read about taking her out and putting her with the others which I have done a number of times over the last two day and she just runs back as soon as I open the door. ( I was keeping the door closed). I'm not sure what to do... do I just leave her in there? Please help!!!

New chicken mom!

Welcome to BYC - and to the joys of having a broody girl in your coop. Unfortunately, simply removing her from the nest will not break her broodiness as, as you have seen, she simply goes right back to the nest....and closing the door may keep her out for the time being, but also keeps your other girls from accessing the nest.
There are several approaches to breaking a broody, which you can find by searching "break broody" here on BYC -- my method of choice, though, is the broody buster cage --- a simple, wire bottom cage that is set elevated to allow maximum cooling air flow to the underside. The cage should allow enough room for the bird to move around comfortably and have food and water containers, but nothing else....NO BEDDING. Leave the hen in this cage for a few days and then let her out to test whether she has come to her senses - if she goes back to the nest, she goes back in the cage.

I just ignored my often broody Little Hen. From the time she matured, she went broody every 2 months. I gave up and just let set on an empty nest for 2-3 weeks.
Then this spring I let her set 11 eggs. Hasnt gone broody again yet. Knock on wood.

Thank you so much for the welcome and advise. I think I might have to invest in a cage. I did move the nesting boxes into the spot she was nesting and now she is totally confused. I'll see what that does and see if the others get a chance to lay again. If not the cage it is
1f914.png
1f914.png

Back
Top Bottom