Stuck baby!

animalmama316

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2018
i have a chick that's been trying to hatch for what seems like forever now. It pipped and didn't do anything so I peeled a few pieces away to see if that would get it started and it wasn't doing much after about 12 hours. I read that if I peel enough of the shell away, it will be able to kick its way out so I did that. The check is SO eager to get out and has been struggling and last night I took a hot towel to moisten it up and it seemed to help but it is just still struggling! What do I do!?

Are there any live veins in the membrane with blood still in them? Until you can't see blood in the membrane the chick isn't ready to hatch. If you can't see blood start peeling back the membrane as the membrane will start to shrink, restricting the chicks breathing and making it impossible for the chick to break out to hatch.

Is this egg under a broody hen or in an incubator?

Either way, patience is required along with warmth and humidity. Try spraying the egg with sterilized water, then put it back under the broody or incubator and leave it be. The chick has a better chance if left to hatch on its own.

All I would do is make a tiny tear in that membrane right over the chick's head, then walk away.

There are still some live veins, but the chick was due about 3 days ago.

Until those veins are empty you can't do any more. If there's a lot of membrane exposed it may start to shrink, even with all the humidity in the world, so be patient, wait for the veins to empty, and step in if you think the membrane is restricting the chicks ability to break out. It is a real judgement call.

Some chicks do just take longer than average to hatch. I've had quail chicks take longer than 36 hours from external pip to hatch. I've stepped in, thinking they were in trouble, only to find they just aren't ready. It's nerve wracking I know!

Back
Top Bottom