Stuck in a dark corner

Bawkbawktll

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2016
I have one of my seven layers going through a pretty hard molt. I'd noticed a lil evidence of picking today on her but not terrible. I thought I'd see how they are tonight(it's 15 degrees). And she was huddled up on the floor of the coop. I put her on the roosts and she jumped down onto poop shelf(scared,clumsy). I set her back up there. One RIR pecked at her I let them settle down and the super molted BR kinda nested up to another hen. Should I have left her on the floor? I'll get some blue kote on her tomorrow too.

Howdy Bawkbawktll

A moult can sometimes make a hen very sulky. Those pin feathers are very sensitive and you may find that she is not sleeping on the roost because she does not like being touched by the hens closest to her.

Are you applying Blue Kote because she is bleeding? I do not think it is normal for them to bleed during a moult, unless the others have overdone the picking on her.

If it was me, as long as she does not appear unwell and is just hiding because of the moult, I would let her sleep where she wants to, unless you think that she is going to get too cold.

I was kinda worried about how cold she'd get tonight. I'll put a board leaned up in the corner where she was, then she can have hideout and help warm her if she's sleeping down there. I hadn't really noticed any bullying/picking but there was some blood crusted on her back yesterday, not much

You need to keep an eye on this hen. Chickens often pick at a hen who is not feeling well. A sick hen often isolates herself from the others, and this behavior also invites others to attack. It's just how chickens roll.

Let's hope she's merely struggling with an uncomfortable molt, but monitor her poop, and her day time behavior. If she continues to isolate herself during the day, mopes around, not moving much, and if she holds her tail down low and flat when she stands, she may be sick.

She's ok this am. Still hiding out in coop, I brought her some food and BOSS. Gobbled it up heartily. I didn't notice any blood, or dried up. Can I spray blue kote as a preventative? Maybe keep the possible picking at bay? It is about 10degrees F here too so I'm sure she's cold. My run is plastic wrapped and coop is uninsulated.

Last edited:
I have been adding a higher protein feed to their regular feed. But it's in pellet form and they're used to crumble. So I notice a lot of it not getting ate. I try n make a mash at end of day for them alll to eat.

She's now out in the run, so can eat n drink. Gave them all some mealworms n BOSS with a lil extra fir her. I sprayed all her bare spots with blue kote. Her belly is all bare n a pink color. I've looked for mites on poo shelf and none of the other six are even close to as bare. Some have a lil neck feathers missing but seem a lot softer of a molt. I should mention these are all a year and seven months old

She's now out in the run, so can eat n drink. Gave them all some mealworms n BOSS with a lil extra fir her. I sprayed all her bare spots with blue kote. Her belly is all bare n a pink color. I've looked for mites on poo shelf and none of the other six are even close to as bare. Some have a lil neck feathers missing but seem a lot softer of a molt. I should mention these are all a year and seven months old
During the moult feed grower.......Drop all treats to once a week.......They do not need that...Only the feed and water.....

Cheers!

Like meat bird formula? The secondary feed I'm giving them Is nutrena country feeds egg producer w 21 % protein. The normal feed is Kent home fresh extra egg layer w 16%. The mix is usually a lil more of the Kent

Back
Top Bottom