Stuck in the woods

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dorian_grey, Feb 2, 2009.

1. dorian_grey

dorian_grey New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    Granville, Ohio
    Is there any problems with putting a run in my woods. It will be fenced but not roofed.

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    If I had my birds near the woods I wouldn't have many birds left. Coons, possums, owls, bobcats, and whatever else is in the woods looking for food.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    You most certainly must have some sort of a critter proof lid on your run, or your just asking for trouble, especialy in the woods.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    It will work, the only thing Id really worry about is predators getting your chickens. But I know several people that has runs that arent covered, and they work fine for them. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009
  5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Is it dark in your woods?? If you have less light than you would have in a field or yard, you may get less eggs.

6. asa

asa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Woodstock Ga
    I have hawks that sit on top of my coop. You will need to built a chicken fortress not a chicken coop.

7. jrhbull

jrhbull Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    Hawks sit ontop of your coop??? shoot them

8. asa

asa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Woodstock Ga
    He can't get in. He also knocks himself out when he goes for the parrots on the sun porch. He will kill himself sooner or laiter. I live in a neighborhood, can't do the gun thing.

9. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    How about some nylon netting I see advertised for flight pens? Or a big dog...good luck and stop feeding the hawk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by