Stuck now limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lacysummer, Aug 19, 2011.

1. lacysummer

lacysummer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern West Virginia
    I found a Buff orpington stuck this morning between the roost and the wall, she just looked wedged, so I pulled her out. Sit her on the nest so she could rest a bit and recover from being stuck she was walking a bit funny but I thought her leg may just be numb from being in one spot for too long, well by this afternoon she was not doing any better, walking with a slowing and the leg is turned in slightly, she doesn't use it well when she steps up on something. Could it be broken or sprained? What should I do to make her more comfortable?

Thanks
    Lacy

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sorry to here about this but if she is putting weight on it most likely sprained, try to give her some soaks in some warm epsom salt water. and give it a few days and see if it doesn't get better. If not then you might want to think of seeing a vet. I would not let her be with the flock till she is walking normal and able to hold her own. A little TLC is reccommended. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. lacysummer

lacysummer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern West Virginia
    Thanks

I did separate her this afternoon once I saw she was still unable to walk well, I didn't want the roosters to do more damage, the other hens pecking (she low in order), or not have access to food.
    I'll soak her tomorrow and rub her with arnica cream.

I hope she recovers easily

Thanks again
    Lacy

4. koora the tigeress

koora the tigeress New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    i have a simular problem but i know it hasn't got to do whith her legs
    with mine shes unbalenced and uncorandinated kinda like someone with MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by