Stuck poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smittytwins, Jun 26, 2011.

1. smittytwins

smittytwins New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    My chicken has a large buldge coming out of her behind, it looks like she is trying to pass some poop but it's stuck.
    How can I help her? She just stanging around and straing.

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she a chick or a hen? I don't think grown hens get pasty butt. Could it be prolapse?

3. smittytwins

smittytwins New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    She a 2 1 /2 year old buff chochin hen

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you seeing a red bulge or actual poop? I have a BO with some prolapse and sometimes will see the red bulge with her but it doesn't seem to incapacitate her. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will post. Maybe try to clean her up and see what's going on? Internal egg laying and parasites seem to be the first things to check for when a bird is having problems but I have no idea if they apply here.

5. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be a prolapse waiting to happen. I would put her in a warm Espom salt bath. It will help her relax. The straining is what will cause the most damage. If she can relax maybe she will pass whatever it is without injuring herself.

Good luck!

6. smittytwins

smittytwins New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks everyone, I went back out in the coop and she was in the nest box. I was to unlodge the stuck poop, then she laid an egg. She seems to be OK now.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by