stuck to inside of shell= day 11

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Aug 27, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have La Fleche eggs that I got locally. On day 8 I noticed a black spot(eye) on one that is against the shell. It is now day 11 and expected this one to perish. It appears to be stuck to the inside of the shell. I turn 3 times a day and haven't had a problem like this before. It doesn't move position (but does move the rest of itself). I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I figured if I allowed this chick to go on, then it most likely will be deformed. Should I just cull now?? He did have some of the eggs in the carton pointy side up, and I'm not sure if they are the same ones I had a problem with [​IMG] . I have 10 left in there (including this 1). Any ideas or suggestions?

Krista

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I think it is just to soon to decide to cull it. I would wait and give it a chance. Sometimes what you think you are seeing can be deceiving when they are in the egg shell. [​IMG]

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    give it a chance and see what happens, never know !!!!

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have the spot marked, it doesn't move, ever. [​IMG] The others you can see them go from one side to the other (white eggs)

Krista

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I have had an egg like that before and it hatched out just fine. It might just be part of the vein structure and not an eyeball at all.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's probably fine. If it doesn't hatch, it doesn't hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by