Stuck Under The Shed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Padfoot417, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Okay...so maybe this doesn't really seem like so much of an emergency....but I'm really scared... [​IMG]
    My 2 new girls, Rosey the silkie and her 4 week old chick Lilly got themselves under the shed and now refuse to come out.
    The neighbor's dog scared them and they ran under there....
    The problem is that I can see them,but they aren't moving.
    Lilly has moved a little and looked at me, but won't leave momma.
    Rosey hasn't moved or made a sound in hours, that's what worries me....
    I'm so afraid that she got herself stuck or something and ended up suffocating!! [​IMG]
    My dad said that if they aren't out by morning he'll put the shed on a floor jack so I can get them out...
    But the night is the enemy of a free chcicken where I live...something recently tried to get into my coop.
    I covered the hole it made,put a radio out there,and fenced off the area where they are,it's the best I've got.
    Has this happened to anyone else???

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    can you check them with a flash light?
    maybe try to get them out with some of there favorite treats?

3. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    How about some treats...have you tried something like that. good luck

4. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Chickens are pretty amazing at surviving. They are probably very scared & just hiding. I don't think they could have suffocated under there. We had 4 chickens go missing around Thanksgiving, and they slowly returned over a 2 wk period--in the midst of a northern MN winter blast!! We also had some strange dogs come in the yard & terrorize our flock a few yrs ago. They ran into the woods & it took a couple of days for some of them to come back.

In the morning, I would try to "bait" them out with the tastiest treats that you can think of. Are they your only chickens, or are there others? Perhaps if there are others, they can help tempt them out. That's pretty nice of your dad to be willing to lift the shed for you!! The radio is a great idea to kept predators away!

Good Luck...let us know who things work out [​IMG]

5. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Get a shovel and dig your way under. I would not be leaving my hens out, scared or not, with roaming predators.
    I have had my hen lodge herself under the porch before, and i had to do anything to get her out.
    Its night now, so I would check on them with a flash light, if they wont come out, leave a flood light, or a flash light out by them. That "might" deter them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by