Stuck with what to do

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by olympicchicks, Mar 18, 2015.

1. olympicchicks

olympicchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    I have a 30 foot x 6 foot run (down the side of ,y house) and it has concrete slabs but I don't know what to do because I have read concrete can cause foot sores so I am a bit worried because I don't want to hurt my hens anyway once I get them,I'm going to have a little garden are probably either 4x4, 6x4 or 2x6,with mesh over the top to stop them from overgrazing a dust bathing area and a a little compost heap for them to scratch around but I think there will still be to much concrete and I don't really want to be putting a ton of sand or wood chips down as I feel it would be too cost effective I could possibly have an area the same size as the garden.

Is there anything else you guys can think of.will putting in branches and perches help??

I am getting either 3 or 4 chickens so around 30-40 sq ft each (if I have done my math right),so they will have plenty of space to run around and have fun

I will be giving them veg and plants and stuff as well and I'll probably grow fodder as I have rabbits aswell

Thank you so much for answering in advance

2. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    [​IMG]
    Maybe something like this

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    My birds hang out on my concrete patio with no distress, but they do have lawn and woods too.

I would think if you have alternative surfaces, such as planters and perches where the birds can get off the concrete from time to time, if should be fine.

Keep in mind that no need for actual planting. Nothing will survive the chickens.

4. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    The chicken wire will be layered and have small holes so they can't completely shred it and so they hopefully don't use it as a dust bath I'll be having the scratching and bathing area.

Also I'm going to grow mixed pots of greens and a pot of herbs

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    cover part of it in a nice thickness of mulch for them to dig around in, would be a good thing

6. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England

It would probably have to go over the concrete and I don't really want to do that as I don't really have the materials to make mulch as my tree is a maple/sycamore and my rabbits eat down my grass for me I could just make the scratching area a bit larger though

7. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    you can buy mulch by the bag just about anywhere, I didn't realize you had any area there that's not concrete.

8. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England

Oh like compost, over here in the uk it is about £20 a bag

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by