Studding hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickengurl11, Sep 4, 2014.

1. chickengurl11

chickengurl11 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Hi everyone I'm brand new :). I live in a small neighborhood and cannot own my own roosters. I breed rabbits and was wondering if there was studding services for chickens by other breeders. I know in the rabbit world we do that :). I want a rooster but my neighbors wouldn't be happy. I plan on getting bantams and buff Orpington. Thanks everyone for all the help. I'd love some baby chicks :).

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I don't know about studding like technically but I swap back and forth all the time hens and roosters. Just remember from a breeding if the hen is not fertile it takes 36hrs. For her to lay a fertile egg and she'll lay fertile eggs for approx. 10-14 days after. So if she's a good layer you could get a whole clutch from one mating

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. chickengurl11

chickengurl11 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Okay that's awesome!:) I wish I could own a rooster. Should I ask around and see if any hatcheries or farms are willing to do that? I won't have mine for a little bit but I want my options open. I know with rabbits we charge like ten dollars for a breeding. I'm not sure how chickens works in this regard. I hope someone is willing for me to bring hens to get bred. I wish I lived on a farm haha I want a rooster of my own.

4. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Technically you'd probably find it easier to just buy some fertile eggs from someone to hatch.

Taking your hens to a rooster probably won't work the way rabbits or other animals will. You'd have to leave them there long enough for them to adjust and accept the rooster. Seems like it would be a hassle.

5. chickengurl11

chickengurl11 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Hm:/ I really wish roosters weren't so loud haha. I'd love raising my own babies.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I wouldn't want to risk the exposure to disease, etc. There's also the chance of one animal getting injured. I'd just get some fertile eggs and put under a broody hen.

But, if you can't keep roosters, what are you going to do with the 50% cockerels that hatch out? You might just want to look into day old sexed pullets. You can slip them under a broody hen easily.

7. chickengurl11

chickengurl11 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    I would sell them. I have friends who own farms and my boyfriend lives in an area with farms surrounding him. I sell and show rabbits so I'm good with marketing and selling to the right people who are responsible.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You might want to check out the market for whatever breed or mix you're going to be selling before hand. I can't hardly give purebred cockerels away around here. It's a rural-ish area and everyone who wants a rooster can pick them up for free, so there's a glut on the market.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by