1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Student Built Tractor Progress--FINISHED! pg 3

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by iread, Jan 28, 2009.

1. iread

iread Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    I work in a high school with a strong agriculture program. The Ag Structure students are building my chicken tractor and I am soooo excited! I am taking lots of pictures as the tractor takes shape. They have only worked a few days but I wanted to share. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

This pic is after the first day of work
    [​IMG]

These are after a second day of work
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the floor of the coop and how the roof will be slanted. I hope I will have more to post soon if anyone is interested in seeing the progress.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    That looks to be a serious tractor [​IMG]

3. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Looks like it is gonna be heavy! Keep posting pics, we'll all want to see your progress.

Nice to know this stuff is alive and well in our schools.

4. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Hope the doors big enough for you to get it out! [​IMG]

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:I agree 100% Will

6. iread

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    I wanted to update the progress of the students' work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know of anysuggestions. They are not finished with the nesting boxes. I was a little concerned whether or not the roost would work. What do y'all think?

7. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    That looks very nice and now I am gonna have to have a talk with my son. All I got was an end table. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice end table but I don't even get to use it, my son keeps it in his room. [​IMG]

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    The roost looks a little thin... What size is it? A lot of people use 2x4s for their roosts with the 4" side parallel to the floor.

9. iread

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    The roost is almost two inches wide. It looks smaller in the picture. I had read lots of different dimensions so I wasn't sure what to tell them. Should I change it?

10. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I don't know everything about chickens.The things that I've been taught was by a old timer that I have alot of respect for and I trust his judgement and his 65+ years of experience.
    Many may disagree with this but I remember him telling me that if a rooster was to perch on a roost that was too narrow,over time it could make him sterile.He told me to always go with a 2x4 with the widest side as the roost.JMHO Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by