Students!!! AAAAAGH!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, May 5, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Yesterday was awful. I was supposed to give a final exam. There was a huge accident on the highway that is essentially the only way to get there. I sat on the highway for 2-1/2 hours, then spent another hour trying to get back home....

I had a cell phone! I contacted the school and we made arrangements that I would give the students a take home exam with a 24 hour turn around time. I actually gave them closer to 29 hours to e-mail the finished exam back.

Out of 26 students, I got 14 back, and 5 excuses - sort of.....

Some I never heard from.

One guy I actually called! He sent me the exam 7 times! Everyone was the exam alright - blank. He tells me he downloaded the exam on the 4th computer in the second row at the computer lab and I can go see it there! [​IMG]

"I had to work", "I slept at work and just woke up", "I sent it from another e-mail address why didn't you get it?" And my personal favorite " You didn't make it to class so I am sure you'll understand that I had scheduling problems."

[​IMG] I know, I know I didn't make it and I will listen to reasonable excuses, but to wait until AFTER the deadline to tell me you have scheduling problems?? [​IMG] The accident that trapped me made the news!

OK rant over...........

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Kids these days... [​IMG]

Seriously though, I hate when uncontrollable stuff happens and it throws you're whole, perfectly planned schedule off!

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I teach as an adjunct instructor - just a class or two a year. I love the community college students: hardworkers ready to do what it takes. Others? It seems that the better their situation (two parents in the home, money, an easy life) the more they have been raised to KNOW that they are super-duper SPECIAL (cuz Mommy said so), thus the rules do not apply to them.
    BTW - my kid (two parents in the home, money, an easy life) is the worst! [​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I work with grad students and sometimes they can be so high maintenance!

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Fail them. They didn't get the exam in within the specified time. It doesn't really matter that you missed the exam time. They were told at that time that there would be a take home exam and that they would have 24 hours to get it in. They missed the deadline. Game over.

I used to be a really nice professor. Then I had to deal with the whining and laziness and the "it's not my fault" attitude that seems to be the anthem of this generation. I finally gave up. Now if things are due in class, they are due in class no matter what happens. I no longer take late work unless they have a note from their doctor, a judge or the police (and I've gotten all three!). Things happen in life and you just have to get over it and get your work done. Plan ahead and plan better.

Computer problems and scheduling issues are not your problem. They are the problem of the students. Do you think a boss will care one day that this kid had "scheduling issues"? Nope. My job is to prepare these kids to be useful to society. This irresponsible attitude does NOT prepare them for the future. Being "special" or "unique" does not make you useful.

6. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    Our local university had quite a few students who had multiple grandparents die! One really talented professor locked her classroom door at the last bell. I took language classes (on my lunch hour!) and it was common for students to waltz in late or be standing in the hall talking to a boyfriend during class hour. One student from Panama had a "D" in Spanish, her first language! Guess no one told her she had to attend class and turn in homework.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    4th computer of the second row of the computer lab and "Why can't you come there to see it?" Remains my personal favorite!

I think I am going to print that out and post it as the best demonstration of boneheaded arrogance ever!

I agree about the bosses. 70% correct in college is a passing grade. At work it gets you fired.

Unless of course you are the CEO of a bank! [​IMG] or a major league ball player.

Today's complaint from a student who did badly on a paper: "I don't understand why I got such a low grade, I did it on time!" add your own whiny voice effect.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    A lot of this attitude comes as a direct result of coddling by others.

As mentioned, I work with graduate students. I'm roughly the same age as them. A certain number of these students continuously reminds the adminsitration that they're adults, and then behaves in egregious ways: whining because they weren't counted on the attendance sheet they were supposed to have signed; drinking to excess on School trips and hurting reputations; complaining about what-have-you but not offering solutions.

I have finally started telling them that it's very easy to complain but to effect real change they must present me with a solution.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Fail them... do it and it will be a hard lesson learnt.....they wont do it again... you had a "real" excuse... what's their excuse....getting of the soapbox because boy could I go on.... get real Students.... life is life... you need to make the grade NO excuses all the time.......... jeesh!.......[​IMG] Sharon..... students.... you want me to really ring you!!!!! I will no problem....

Edited to add...not ring you Shaon I do mean your Students...... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  10. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    One of my coworkers just had a kid come waltzing in to drop off her final project. She was carrying her cap and gown for Saturday's graduation ceremony. My friend pointed out to her that she (the student) had only turned in half of the assigned projects so it was unlikely that she was going to pass the class. The class is a requirement for graduation and you must have a C for it to count. The student was stunned. "What do mean I'm not going to pass?! I have to have this class to graduate!!!" My friend very generously offered to give her an incomplete and let her finish the work during the May short term. The kid stormed off in a huff (personally I wouldn't have been so generous). Eventually she came back all in tears and very grudgingly agreed to come finish the class in May, but her whole attitude was that it was the professor's fault. Nevermind that she routinely skipped class and didn't turn in 50% of the projects. Clearly it can't be her fault. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by