Study indicates that chickens prefer beautiful humans.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spangled, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Here's the link to the study: http://bitly.com/z1wg0P

So. Chickens can discern beauty. Implications? Should I put up murals on the inside of the nestbox curtains so that the hens have something lovely to stare at while laying? I guess I feel a little guilty for not giving their house a fresh coat up paint this summer.

I'm also a little perturbed that I have never spiffed up for them before going out to see them. I always put on my rattiest coat and boots and gloves and seldom run a comb through my hair.

I just never thought of my chickens having any knowledge or preferences about beauty before.

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Nothing is more beautiful to chickens than food. Bring treats and they will think you are beautiful.

3. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley

[​IMG] [​IMG] You're right!

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    What you let your chickens see you without your "face"??? :D.

5. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Actually now that you've mentioned it... They have been giving me the cold shoulder since I got my hair cut. A possibly a hint that I need a new hairdresser?? :lol:

6. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Very funny. No, really, I did actually LOL.

But then I thought about it and maybe they aren't quite sure it's still you and are a little bit afraid as chickens sometimes can be. Wouldn't that be a trip if they noticed hair cuts and things like that? I bet they do. Or at least some of them probably do.

7. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I've noticed when I first come out in hats or hoods in the fall, the birds seem very uncertain about who I am. They seem to particularly dislike my faux fur hats. I think they're quite fetching. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  8. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA

Next time I have trouble picking out an outfit I know who to ask!! So Betsy what do you think.. "one cluck for the blue pumps and two for the peep toes". " I see a meal worm in your future... " :lol::lol: :lol:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by