Stuff found inside your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tdgill, Nov 2, 2011.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen some blood spots and the occasional fertilized looking spot and that little bit of stringy albumen(?) But today I found gray intestional looking stuff. Kinda freaked out

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Do you have a pic? Could it be a worm?

3. tdgill

no, I didn't get a pic but I it didn't look like the pic I found of a worm on here....still looking. Just wondering what things people have seen before.

4. pipsmom

pipsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    MA
    I have seen some strange things in a few of my eggs. I got one a few weeks ago that had a hard, bean sized thing in it. Kind of dark and grayish red? I tossed the egg. I have also gotten a few eggs with a dark spot(meat spot?) in it. These are all from young layers though. I will try to take some photos of any that I get that have strange things in them.

5. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I know it happens but it always grosses me out when i find the meat spots...I try to pick it out or it goes to the kids or hubby...what they don't know won't hurt them haha! I just hope that when I give eggs away none of those eggs have anything gross!

6. tdgill

update: it is not the white stringy " Chalazae" (which I previously called albumen) it was clearly grayish or greenish in color and made me think of intestines..sorry. ewwww. And another egg had a small semi-hard bean shaped object in it. Like chicken fat in color.

7. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Quote:I am guilty of feeding my husband the meat spots too!

8. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:I am guilty of feeding my husband the meat spots too!

x3! Just use lots of pepper!

9. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Lol, never tell picky eaters what you cook, suddenly they don't like their favorite foods any more.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've had a small insect between shell and membrane. Found it peeling a hard boiled egg. Checked the girls for fleas and they looked fine but was kind of alarming at the time. Nothing since then or ever before so not too bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by