stuff in my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bare bottom farm, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Bare bottom farm

Bare bottom farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    HI all I was wondering if anyone could tell what this is and why it is there? my hens are a year old and have laid off and on for 7mths.
    [​IMG]

2. DPC poultry

DPC poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Mt. washington Ky
    It is a small blood spot that is caused when a hen sits on a fertile egg for a short period of time the egg is perfectly fine to eat though

3. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    Quote:Really I don't have any roos

4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    google blood spot and meat spots in eggs..It is basically a blood vessel tear or leak into the egg as it is developing..thats the short version..doesnt hurt the egg at all..has nothing to do with roos..

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Blood/meat spot which has absolutely nothing to do with "hens setting on the eggs." These flecks or meat or blood occasionally slough off the walls of the reproductive tract as the eggs are forming. In commercial production, such eggs are slated for bakery utilization so we have been eating them all along. They may be eaten or you can remove them from the egg prior to cooking. Misinformation is worse than no information.

6. Bare bottom farm

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    Quote:Thank you all so very much for youjr help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by