stuff to dry up poo

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flukefarm, Mar 17, 2012.

1. flukefarm

flukefarm New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Hey new to the chicken world loving it though very fun but the other day I overheard someone talking about the poo from their chicken and somthing they feed them that makes it dry up faster because they dont like it all over their lawn.....Has anyone herd of somthing like that,does not sound like I would want to feed them that cant I would not think it could be too healthy for them.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I know many use diatomaceous earth sprinkled on the floor of the run to help dry up the poop as well as kill parasites. I don't know if this is what you are asking for.

3. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy
    Don't know what someone could FEED his chickens to make the poop dry faster. Moisture content in poop is a factor of many things. And once it's dropped, how fast it dries is also dependent on more than one thing.

Sounds like an old wives' tale to me.

If you're looking for an additive to use after it's been dropped, try Sweet PDZ. There's a super thread on this stuff in the Coop forum.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Good bedding is the best thing to dry it quickly.
    DE can help some, but Pine Shavings work about as well as long as they are deep enough

5. flukefarm

flukefarm New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks everyone I saw them again and just went on over and asked they told me it was diatomaceous earth they put it in the coop on shavings to keep mites gone etc..... think I will try it tsc has it in stock and the Sweet PDZ isnt that the horse stall re fresher stuff???

6. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by