Stuffing chickens into da coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gmendoza, Dec 12, 2011.

1. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Well its been below the 30's here in SC now and I have had to round up chickens,guinea hens and a big turkey hen into the coop at night.Some of these screwballs want to hang out in the run all stinking night.Some on the ground,some high in the rafters.Well its a chore but I got em all in the coop for the second night.especially BOBO the turkey hen. *whew. when I open the door to the run in the moring I dont see em run out,so I opened the coop and there they are roosting and its very cosy in the coop. I might want to jump up on the roost and snuggle next to BOBO.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have night lights in my coops. At first I put the lights in for me so I could go out once in awhile and check on the birds throughout the night. I have found the birds on the floor of their coop when a light has burnt out and as soon as I replace the light they are up on their roosts. I also gave them some treats in their coop in the evenings. I started the treats when I had shut them in for at first few days and when I finally let them out they would go in for their treats in the evenings. Slowly I slowed down on the treats until I stopped giving the treats and they were going in without treats. It worked for me.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be sure to dust with a miticide before snuggling up to Bobo. Just sayin'. [​IMG]

4. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Miticide.........................................................................................check

Talcum powder incase I get too close to Bobo and get chaffed...check

Umbrella to protect from "bombadeers" above in the rafters......check

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by