Stumbling around, paralyzed? Sick hens

Rainbow Rootz

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Hi. In the last week or so this has happened: My 5 year old ameraucana got very lethargic- had a hard time moving about and this morning passed on. I have had a few other chickens die this way in the past- I tried to diagnosis but was never successful. It never seemed to effect the other hens (no others got sick).

But then, quickly in the last two days a 5 year old road island red has lost the ability to move around. Her tail is 'deformed' to be down and one of her wings seems to be permanently extended. When she moves around it is quite a struggle and she stumbles and doesn't make it far. Otherwise she seems healthy (she has good weight, clear eyes, ears, etc, feathers healthy)- other then maybe a bit of a poopy but'- not clean by the vent.

I have been reading around the forums and checking my books but I can't seem to find any matches.

We just added 6 new chicks to the flock this spring (maybe 14 weeks old)- they are separated from the other hens by plastic fencing.

I decided to deworm as a precaution (though I don't think that's what is going on )- because I thought it couldn't hurt.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Cheers, Eric

luvmigrls

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Washinton State
Sorry, I don't have the links available. But while waiting for answers what I do is a search to find past post that sound like my issues. Usually I can run across links that way. There are a few that show how to diagnose by symptoms. I would also check around for anything toxic, moldy, or stuff they shouldn't eat? Have you checked for egg bound issues? Might be good idea to separate her from others in a warm place for rehab so you can keep a close eye. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Top Bottom