stumbling baby silky

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stefzbiz, Oct 10, 2011.

1. stefzbiz

stefzbiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I just wanted to check in,, most of the chicks are doing great (we got the 6 little chicks 3 of the chicks looked like they were a day or so older than the other 3 they are all now barley over a week old. One of the smaller 3 went down hill pretty quickly sat morning found him when I switched to the day time light just huddled and looking droopy and died within the hour. I now have another one of the smaller ones who just does not seem to be doing well, he eats and drinks as often as the others, but he is kinda hanging his wings a little droopy, also he stumbles and falls a lot, and can’t get back up, and doesn’t try to much either. His poop looks the same as all the others not runny or funny colored.
    I gave some sugar water but he doesn’t want any part of that. I don’t know if I should separate him, or if he would be better with his buddies. They really are not trampling him or anything they kinda just look at him until I come to stand him up.

Do you have any idea what might be going on, and any advice on what to do.
    I have tried searching on here and there seems to be a lot of this going on and no one really knows.

also I got them from a private breeder, I did not see the parents, but I did see where the chicks were housed and everything looked clean.

2. stefzbiz

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Any ideas...

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If his wings are droopy and he's puffed up and not happy, my first thought would be coccidia. Corrid would be the drug of choice and can be found at tractor supply. Start them on it as soon as possible...

4. stefzbiz

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thank You, I will grab some tomorrow morning.

5. stefzbiz

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Still no weird poop, just falling down like a drunk, and not able to get back up. found him now under the light, hope he didn't get too warm. I have him on my chest snuggled up to try and comfort him.
    Amazing how you can fall so fast for these tiny little things, and how fast they can leave you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by