Stumbling Chickens

kudzu vine

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
Olive Branch MS
Mosty younger and occassionaly some older appear healthy. Then they begin to stumble, almost list they are drunk. In a short time they die. I've disinfected coop, but sometimes months later it happen again. Any suggestions of what is wrong?

I have no suggestion but interested in what other's say as we had a similar situation about 3 months ago. The chicken would act weak/stumbling then within 24 hours we'd find her dead. Seemed like every other day for 2 weeks this was happening to us - we also dissinfected the coop, etc. and it finally stopped and all remaining seem healthy.

Good Luck

--Susan

Hmm...almost sounds like a vitamin deficiency.

I'll be able to look it up better when I get back to my apartment. Does sound like Vit. E though...

I'm having this very same problem. I ordered three breeds from a hatchery and I have lost all of the Sussex, then all the cuckoo Marans pullets and one cockeral, and two rocks. I have one rock that started getting the very same symptoms again after about two weeks of no incident. I'm ready to give on chickens all together after losing this many birds to some unidentifiable disease.

The symptoms start when they stumble around and then they just lay down. They still eat and drink, just not as much. The vent is really nasty by this point but I don't see any blood or worms in the stool. Within 24-48 hours of the first signs they have passed.

I've isolated and moved the area where they stay and given ACV, vitamins, garlic, and oregano all in various quantities and nothing helps. They get to free range all day and I give them a 22% protein multi-flock food. I have turkeys and ducks that I keep separate.

Back
Top Bottom