stumbling hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nwoods01, Sep 21, 2011.

1. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I hope this is the section to post this as it could be a behavior as well. I have a 3 mo NH red that is kind of stumbling and pretty much fell out of coop this am, it is holding its head funny, beak tucked down to breast and at angle. It is free ranging with the others but not as active, when flock moves she follows but staggers. Are these sx's of something, all help is appreciated.

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Sorry nobody replied to this... I would certainly check her over carefully. Take a good look at the bottom of her feet, for bumblefoot. Good luck!

3. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    It does not surprise me no one responded, I have posted before with issues and got the same results. I think it has more to do with her head being tucked down to her crop or chest area and crooked like on a angle. After my first post I later discovered a dead hen that was gutted I'm not sure what all was eaten the bees were swarming. I think a predator attacked it during the night and I wondered if this other one was injured as well. I have a predator problem that has to be eliminated for sure. Thanks for replying.

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I'm not sure about the predator aspect. I came home yesterday to find a hen with a crop full of fresh food (not impacted but loose) hanging her head and being real lethargic sitting like she was brooding. She didn't make it through the night. I am wondering if perhaps a copperhead got into the run and got her or if she got into something bad to eat. It's pretty simple to care for them if there are detectable symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by