Stumped diagnosis?! Egg bound, paradontis (sp?), ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 932ninja, Dec 13, 2014.

1. 932ninja

932ninja Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Cantonment, Florida
    Hey Gang!
    I have a leghorn who is 10 months old and has had a slow health decline. Her comb has never developed like the other girls and in the past couple weeks she has started isolating herself from the flock of the other 20 hens and one roo. I have had her isolated for 4 days and started Tyvek then as well. I started calling her Janice because she looks jaundice on her legs and beak.... she is a lot yellower than the other leghorns bought at the same time. Her wings are droopy. She has great interest in the scrambled eggs, grapes, and meal worms I give her. I added vitamins to her H2O. There is a heat lamp in a barn stall with her but she is choosing to hang in a cold dark corner. She has not laid any eggs since she has been in isolation. Tonight when I gave her the abx she was easily tipped over on her side with no resistance and then after administration I was able to palpate her abdomen which was quite firm. Her breastbone is very protruded. Her poops are very small and dark.
    Is it possible she has just had a poor immune system and failure to thrive so to speak? The lack of egg production is alarming I think?!
    Any help would be appreciated! TIA!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds as though she has something internal going on, perhaps heart infection or liver disease. Or possibly something from birth. It's always good to do a thorough check of the crop for emptying by morning, check her vent with a gloved finger inserted 1 inch for a stuck egg, look her over for lice and mite infestation, and make sure that she has been wormed. I would get the state vet to perform a necropsy on her if she dies, just incase there is something infectious in the flock such as Mareks or avian leukosis. Here is a link for your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

3. 932ninja

932ninja Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Cantonment, Florida
    Thanks so much for your response. Sadly, she stopped eating and was wobbly so we helped her cross over :( I hated t see her suffer and I had exhausted my performance options. When we did take her life there was not much blood. She was so dehydrated!
    Thanks again for your suggestion and link on the necropsy!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by