1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

!!!!Stumped---Help Wanted!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Winggedheart, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    We've had a big chicken problem lately; not only have we suffered through something like worms, and Cocci earlier this year, and lost half of my babies, but now our egg production (twenty a day at least) has dropped from 0-1 eggs a day.

We have at least 40 laying hens.

I've tried everything; worming them, treating them for Cocci, feeding them extra, checking to make sure they're not overheated... They get clean, cold water 4 times a day, and we've even added vitamins/electrolytes and vinegar to their water in turn, with no success.
    Oyster shells, scratch grain, laying pellets, chick food, house scraps, fruit (in abundance! They're getting into the peach/plum/apple trees) insects, grass, and whatever else they free-range is their diet.

These birds have run of two coops, pens, and a two-acre fenced in yard. They have plenty of waterers, and most also get out of the lot and roam our thirty acres of pasture/woodland. Still no eggs!

They don't seem sick at all; ALL birds act completely normal: but no eggs. They're not thin, they're not pale in the face, they're not staggering or limping, or even hanging around in the shade or around the coops more then normal.

I thought, maybe they're laying out in the woods? I don't believe that's the case; to allow full-grown hens to get out of the lot I have to open a door. The babies can slip under the fence, but the hens have to go through the door.
    Egg production had dropped during a streak of days inside the lot! Not free-ranging outside. And now that I've free-ranged them more, there has been no stir in egg production.

I thought, maybe a snake or other predator? I go out several times a day (and night) and scan the coops, the lot, and the area around. No feathers, broken eggs, shock in chickens, anything. It's so frustrating, and weird! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds like everything is pretty perfect for them, why they aren't laying is a mystery. Maybe cut back on scratch grains, I don't feed till fall, all mine get for treats is meal worms and some fruit and veggies plus their feed. also the hot weather we have been having makes a difference. Mine free range also and they did try the egg laying in the woods but seem to prefer the coop now, but I have 18 laying hens and am getting about 7 to 10 eggs a day at the most. My chickens besides my Brahmas aren't considered your best "egg Layers" though game, bantam, mixes. maybe someone else will be able to help you more.

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Roaming 30 acres? You can almost bet those girls have found themselves a secret hidey-hole in which to lay those eggs![​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x 2
    Additionally the summer heat will cause them to slow egg laying.

5. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    could they be beginning a moult?

6. Winggedheart

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    I find it hard to believe that they're laying outside the lot...they stopped laying well before free-ranging completely! I have absolutely no idea about molting...it's possible, but I doubt that all our laying hens would start at the same time! It's extremely confusing to me!
    And the heat was my first guess, but we've had cool days, and hotter days. We had some real scorchers a month ago, and they were laying great then. [​IMG]

7. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I thought I read somewhere on here not to feed fruit, as it will stop or slow egg-laying. I don't know if it is true, but I don't give them much fruit because I read that somewhere. Maybe someone else will know about this.

8. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
  9. Winggedheart

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    I heard that feeding a diet of only fruit will slow egg-laying, but these birds eat fruit as choice! They get loads of other feed, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

10. desman

desman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    Callahan, Fl
    Broody Hen someone has a pile of eggs somewhere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by