stumped on this one

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmcgee83, Dec 29, 2014.

1. jmcgee83

jmcgee83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    This girl is 2 months old. She has an enlarged skull and creeper legs. She definitely has some genetic abnormalities. But she has been thriving. Recently I added a few more to the flock. All young birds like her. They've been picking on her. I noticed today she's a bit weak and has swelling under her neck. She's not got anything in her crop. Is there something fatally wrong with her? Or do you think maybe its just the other birds messing with her? Should I separate her? Or let nature takes its course? She a serama/ bantam ameraucana cross and the sweetest girl. Also what is wrong with her? Why does she look so strange? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jmcgee83

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    I would describe her dumpy looking her head is really wide and almost looks like she has two skulls. Like she's an ogre or something. Her name is Fiona. I would really like to keep her but I fear something is wrong that I can't fix.

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I know just about zilch in regards to genetics and breeding, but this sounds like a breeding project that probably shouldn't be repeated. I take it when you mention adding several more like her, they are from the same line and have similar defects?

Also, she looks awfully small for two months old, even for a bantam.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. jmcgee83

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    She's a serama cross I have 3 same line as her. They were ordered eggs. She isn't going to be bred just curious to what I could do. She's of average size for her breed.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    If there is anything you could do, I would ask the person you ordered the eggs from. Tell them the defects you are seeing, ask if they have seen those defects before and ask if there is something nutritionally they need, if they think they will be just fine or if it should be culled. If the bird is thriving, then I would just keep doing what you're doing. But the breeder would probably know best about this particular cross.

6. RikkiMarie

RikkiMarie Out Of The Brooder

I agree with pdirt, I would ask the person you ordered the eggs from and talk about the defects and if it is common around the flock that they are using for breeding.

I do have to say though, she is an adorable little chicken and it's a shame that she has some defects but I heard that chickens with small or even large defects can thrive to be normal chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by