stumped. the 5 month old rooster is a beauty...but what is his breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyelle, Aug 3, 2011.

1. babyelle

babyelle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

please help me identify this little guy. he is a 5 month old bantam and i have exhausted all of my research options. all of you chicken experts out there should be able to help me [​IMG]

2. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    He is a beauty (drool, drool, drool...)!!!!

I really don't know what he is, but he looks kind of like my Japanese Black Tailed Buff bantam girl. If no one can solidly identify him, take a look at that breed????

3. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    He looks like an OEGB rooster

4. babyelle

Mar 2, 2011
    for a while we thought he was a ginger red oegb but the coloring is off and i see no other oegb with his same colors. so then i though it may be a black tail buff japanese but in all of the picture i have found the coloring is still a bit different. that is the closest i have come though.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:could he be a cross of the two...OE/Jap?

6. babyelle

Mar 2, 2011
    the big stumper here is the comb. his comb is a purple/red color and large which is quite different from the oegb. i don't think it is a mix breed because the feed store where i got him received their order from cackel hatchery. keep guessing my chicken friends, my daughter is showing him at the fair in september...it is a good idea if she actually knew what she was showing [​IMG]

7. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    he is a Quail OEGB and a little light in color.

8. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    I would say from looking at him that he is a Quail OEGB as well, but Cackle does not offer that plumage colour. They do offer Ginger Reds.

The comb is its natural size. If you are looking at pictures in books or often online their combs will look small. The comb is dubbed (trimmed off) as that is required for exhibition birds. If you are going to show him he will be disqualified unless you dub his comb.....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:Yup thats what Im thinking

10. babyelle

Mar 2, 2011
    well i looked up the quail oegb and sure enough it looks the same [​IMG]: . so happy to finally have my answer, maybe cackle had a different batch that time around, who knows. anyway, about trimming the comb, that seems awful. i have never heard of this but we are new to the whole chicken thing. she is showing him at the fair for 4h in september. is it still required for this type of an event? we also have a self blue oegb and in photos i've seen of others it appears their combs have been trimmed also...is this just a standard for this breed? thank you for the feedback....so very helpful [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by