Stung! Anyone know a pain reliever?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Parson's Wife, May 8, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Hi,
    Was burning some boxes that had been piled behind church. Out flew a wasp, it really looked black to me, and got in behind my glasses, stung me 3 times before I could get the glasses off and it out. My eye is swollen shut, but it did not get my eyeball.
    Anyone have a quick remedy for wasp stings?

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Oh owowowow! So sorry. The only thing I've heard to try is meat tenderizer but I'd be very cautious putting it near your eye. Call a doctor for a recommendation? Other than ice packs I'm not sure what would work best. Hope someone else does soon!

3. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Yeah, I was going to say MSG/meat tenderizer, but near your eye? Not sure if it would be a good idea...

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Tea bags.

When I would get stung as a child, Nana would always take a cool tea bag and put over the sting.

Don't know if there is any medical basis to the relief it provided, but I remember that cool tea bag always felt so good on that hot sting.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Em

5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Have you taken any Benadryl or allergy medicine? That should help with the swelling. Something with an anithistimine ( sp?)

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    soak a cotton ball with white vinegar, make sure not to get it in your eye. then make a paste with Baking soda and put it on the stings and let dry. White vinegar is what they use at the beach for Jelly Fish stings, it work for wasp stings too.

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    OUCH! I would also say tea bags. If it was not close to the eye I would say bleach, but not close to the eye. My mom was stung like that a long time ago, it actually gave her a black eye. Hope you feel better.

8. ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr

ZykloniaDark-GothikRanchr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Saint Cloud Florida
    you can wet a washcloth or paper towel and put sage leaves or powder in it, and put that over the stings, you can sprinkle the meat tenderizer on the cloth too, just hold it lightly over your eye...you might want to throw an ice cube in there too to lessen the swelling!! Good luck

9. beekybuzzard

beekybuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    SC
    tobacco. Tear up a cigarette and put the leaves in a wet cloth or napkin and apply to the stings. Trust the beekeeper......it works.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

An apple cider poultice, chilled. Even better, dissolve epsom salts in some cool water and make a poultice with that. Also some Ibuprofen for the pain and for the anti-inflammatory effect. The apple cider works best if applied immediately after the sting....takes the pain away almost immediately. I think the epsom salts would work best at this late date.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by