stunning with nitrogen?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aladatrot, Jul 7, 2008.

1. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    I have a friend who can get me nitrogen gas to stun the birds before I butcher them. He said that commercial operations use this process when killing the birds. The nitrogen is clean from a med gas supplier. Apparently you just crack the valve and the nitrogen sedates them so that there is less flapping when the deed is done. At first thought, this seems better for the birds. Any reason I shouldn't do this to ease the transition?

Thanks
    M

2. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I thought most commercial processors used an electric 'bath' to stun/kill the birds.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Med grade or not... I don't think N2 would be painless or stunning. Since 80% of the air is already nitrogen, by just giving nitrogen, you'd be suffocating them rather than putting them to sleep like carbon monoxide would. I thought commercial places used electric baths too. But I could be wrong.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    You'd have to find a way to make a mask or something similar to fit over the birds' heads. Regular old air is 70% nitrogen, so you'd have to really really concentrate it around their heads to make it work.

The effect is sort of like being drunk - basic lack of oxygen more so then the effects of nitrogen.

Dunno...seems like more trouble than it's worth, and more stress on the birds than just a quick hatchet blow.

5. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    Yeah, good call.

Having never heard of nitrogen stunning, I had no idea how to do it. It sounded pretty easy when described, but I guess the implementation would be difficult.

Thanks
    M

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Carbon Dioxide is used to euthanize/stun large animals in some abbatoirs. In small scale operations you can use Dry Ice in a buck or an air tight box to render the chickens unconcious. We used CO2 in graduate school to euthanize rats in nutrition studies.

Jim

7. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Do you mean nitrous?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by