Stunt Growth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JakRat, Aug 17, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Can a chick have a stunt growth?? I have one that just doesnt seem to be growing as much as the other ones. I had to give her tylan a while back for a sneeze but would that cause a stunt growth? They get regular chick feed, mealworms from time to time, safflower seeds and putter around the yard for bugs. She about 8 weeks old I'd say. Here is a pic of her with her "sister"

[​IMG]

She is the dark brown one.

2. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Some illnesses can cause stunted growth. Just give her some time and a little extra protein wouldn't hurt. They almost always catch up in time [​IMG]

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:hmm well she was sneezy but a forum member suggested that she had something stuck in her nose. That was three weeks ago and she is still sneezy... no discharge no other symptoms...

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:hmm well she was sneezy but a forum member suggested that she had something stuck in her nose. That was three weeks ago and she is still sneezy... no discharge no other symptoms...

Just keep an eye on her, don't worry about it if there are no other symptoms. And yeah, some just grow slower than others. I had one who was the tiniest of all of my chicks for a long time, I was so worried because it didn't want to use its wings at all...but now he's turned out to be a handome (and normal sized) young cockerel [​IMG]. Sometimes they just grow a little slower.

5. I have two 20 week old Porcelain d'Uccle hens who are almost identical except that one is half the size. She had this weird foot thing where one toe was folded back completely. She just hatched like that and it didn't seem to bother her so we left it alone. The toe came un-done, I guess, and she grows at a normal rate but she seems to have kind of stopped her growth spurts along with everyone else. Might get pics later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by