Stunted adolescent chicks

Rosdez31

Songster
Jan 24, 2019
Washington state
My summer chicks are very small but are beginning to lay. They are mixed breeds bought from different store's, they free range and eat scratch and peck at 20 percent protein. My Americanas are smaller then my bantam. Any ideas?

eat scratch and peck at 20 percent protein.

There is a chance they are not actually eating 20% protein if they are "scratching and pecking" out the good stuff. This is a common concern with that brand/type of feed. Do you have any way of seeing if they are actually consuming it all versus wasting the stuff they don't like?

My Americanas are smaller then my bantam.
Pics please!

Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-1-25_17-15-16.png

I don't think Scratch n' Peck have all the essential nutrients in a chicken's diet.... they aren't formulated or anything, I don't think.

I don't think Scratch n' Peck have all the essential nutrients in a chicken's diet.... they aren't formulated or anything, I don't think.
You don't....think.
Of course it's formulated....
....but the added minerals/vitamins/amino acids can sift to bottom,
plus this:
There is a chance they are not actually eating 20% protein if they are "scratching and pecking" out the good stuff. This is a common concern with that brand/type of feed. Do you have any way of seeing if they are actually consuming it all versus wasting the stuff they don't like?

Of course it's formulated....
....but the added minerals/vitamins/amino acids can sift to bottom,
plus this:

This is why it's best to ferment this type of feed. I was getting noticeable waste (mostly in fines) with Scratch & Peck until I started fermenting it, because it helps the fines stick to the grains.

Another thought: my EEs this year are also small. Not bantam small but noticeably smaller than the other birds. Wonder if whatever hatchery my feed store sources from changed up the breed make up that goes into them, because they had a lot more chick colors available this time whereas before almost all of them were the partridge color.

Yes, make sure they actually eat ALL of the Scratch&Peck, including the powder. That means it needs to be offered in a container, and one that they can’t bill feed out of. I am using long trough feeders and they are perfect, no waste, ever. You don’t have to ferment if you use my method: Fill the feeder and let them eat until all that’s left is the powder and some least favorite bits, then mix up the leftovers with water, some yoghurt or buttermilk if you want,this is also a good time to add garlic to their diet, and give them their mixed up leftovers in dogbowls - leave the regular feeders empty for the day. It takes a little bit of experimenting to get the amounts just right, (so that they clean up their leftovers) but works very well. I have done this with mine since they were day old chicks and they are great looking chickens, definitely not malnourished.

Another thought: my EEs this year are also small. Not bantam small but noticeably smaller than the other birds. Wonder if whatever hatchery my feed store sources from changed up the breed make up that goes into them, because they had a lot more chick colors available this time whereas before almost all of them were the partridge color.
My EE's have also varied in size.
Some are 'husky' and some are 'slimline.
Agrees that it's part of whatever cross they use.

Thank you all for your help. I'm located in washington state pretty mellow climate. There is a lot of spillage so missing the fines is likely a problem, I had been fermenting during the summer but cut back over the winter.

Back
Top Bottom