Stunted chick, watery eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Golden Egg, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Golden Egg

Golden Egg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    One of our roughly 10-week-old chicks is much smaller than the others (though this whole batch varies widely in size). One of its eyes is watery and often closed, like it's infected or something. It's not "goopy," just watery, and the eyeball itself looks pretty normal. It's been like this for a couple weeks, not getting better or worse. I gave all of them several good doses of cayenne pepper for coccidia, but it's not catching up to the others. Any ideas? are they related or separate issues?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would put some antibiotic ointment into the eye every night when she is on the roost. Make sure that there is not an ammonia smell or dusty environment in the coop because that can cause irritation.

3. Golden Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    We have no eye antibiotic, the feed stores don't sell it, and Mom says she doesn't think it's sold OTC for humans. Can I use an ordinary antibiotic in the eyes? Our triple antibiotic says don't use in the eyes.
    The chick is about the same, no worse...maybe a little better...still much smaller than the others. I was putting some cod liver oil (pinkeye remedy) and then some aloe juice in the eyes.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Here is a link to the University of Florida poultry science program. At the end of the link is a couple of tables that make it easier for a chicken new-be to wade through the confusing and mostly identical symptoms.

While you read this link keep a pen and note book handy so that you can make notes on each disease and re-compare them over and over until you hopefully have your answer..

1 person likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many people use regular Neosporin or other antibiotic ointments in the eye without any problem. They used to sell Terramycin eye ointment in feedstores for animals, but I haven't seen it on shelves for a couple of years. My local store said that it was recalled by the FDA, but I wouldn't know if it were true. It works well if you can find it.

6. Golden Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    Would I find Neosporin ointment at a feed store?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. Golden Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    The triple antibiotic we have contains Bacitrin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate, and Polymyxin B Sulfate. It says "Do not use in eyes." Is it safe for chicken eyes?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by