Stunted Growth, Drooping Wings

LilBitCuckoo

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2015
I have a few dozen polish chicks that are 3 weeks old. Two of them are not growing well. They are maybe half the size as their hatch mates. They eat and drink normally,only slightly less active, poop is beautiful, no pasty butt, crop feels normal,no noticeable respiratory issues, no other symptoms except that they NEVER hold their wings up normally. This has been going on for several days with no change for better or worse. They both love to snuggle with me, so I know that is a good sign. Any ideas what is wrong or what I can do?

It's difficult to make anything much out on the photo. Could they just be too hot? Chickens hold their wings out and sometimes pant when they are too hot or stressed. It certainly makes them lethargic too.
It's a bit too young for Marek's disease and that usually affects them asymmetrically.
Are they on medicated feed?

Last edited:
It is not temperature. These are the only 2 keeping their wings down. Neither has lifted their wings in several days. No panting. No change when I take them out of the brooder where it is cooler. Temp under the light is only 80-85 anyway. And their growth is extremely stunted. I have to suspect the two problems are related.

Are they getting enough to drink.... Dehydration could cause those symptoms. It might be worth giving them fluids with a dropper individually, perhaps with some vitamin supplement in it. I certainly haven't experienced this myself, so I'm just typing off the cuff as I think..

I change their water and clean the drinkers twice a day. Have been putting in vitamins and apple cider vinegar for 3 days. I do see them drinking, but can't say how much. I'll try giving them some by dropper to see if they are excessively thirsty or avoiding water to any extent. I don't think they are dehydrated, but this is certainly worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom