stunted growth? - **Edit - Picture added!**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kindir, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have bantams but haven't actually hatched any until my last hatch. One of them is a little bantam chick who has barely grown at all. All of the other chicks have grown nicely and they are probably about 4 times the size of him.

Granted, the little guy was a peanut right from the start, but he's over a month old and barely as big as a standard chick right out of the egg! He's feathering in nicely, he's eating and drinking normally and seems fine, but TINY. Is this normal? Not sure of his breed as the egg was from my brother-in-law, but the egg itself was probably similar in size to my d'Anvers eggs - quite small.

I'll try to take pics tonight to show him next to some of the others in the same hatch...

Added image:

[​IMG]

He's the obviously tiny little guy. The 3 to his left and the one to his IMMEDIATE right are from the same hatch... Is there dwarfism in chickens???!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    There is quite a bit of size variation in my part Serama chicks, so it's possible that your chick is just naturally a little guy. If this chick is acting and feathering out normally, there probably isn't anything to worry about.

3. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    apparently editing the post doesn't bump it... anyway, the chick is still doing fine, but I'm just very surprised at his size :)

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    You have discovered what every chicken lover looks for, a chicken that stays in that cute little chick fase! [​IMG]

5. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I actually had a silkie that stayed tiny!! he is still smaller then everyone, but he kept his baby fluff FOREVER!! he was the size he hatched at until he was about 2.5 months old then he stared to grow a tad, and get his big boy feathers, he was the cutest thing you ever saw. He is still a tiny little sweet heart.

Yours is SOO cute!! you'll have fun with it. : ) enjoy every moment!

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Those other chicks are standard size chicks - that's why they look so huge compared to him. The bantam looks like an OEGB chick.

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    What a little cutie![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by