Stunted Silkie?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crilly23, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Crilly23

Crilly23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    I have 3 Silkie chicks (I feel like 2 are male, and one is female). The one that is a female appears to have stopped growing... she is considerably smaller then the other 2, as well as the other breed chicks that are the same age. She is also becoming SIGNIFICANTLY friendlier and docile, as she used to be fairly flighty. Is this normal? Could she be sick? She is eating, drinking and moving around just fine. She has just stopped growing.... I can pick her up with one hand, where as the others I need to hands and can hardly wrap around them. This is something I have noticed now for the past 2 weeks and she doesn't seem to be declining in health.. just not growing anymore, and like I said, very, very calm....
    Thoughts? Should I worry?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    not sure if sick or not but i do know that silky hens are 2lbs. smaller then the roos and their is a banty silkie ive been told. hope this helps some.

3. she probably is still growing its just the roosters are going to always be bigger.

4. Crilly23

Crilly23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    So I am not sure what happened, but my stunted Silkie ended up passing away a few days ago. She ate and drank until the end, and moved around with the others, however evidently there was something more wrong then just her size :( thanks for the input though...

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im sorry for your loss. i know chicks born to chickens with crd can be dwarf but i wouldnt know if that applys here

6. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    It may have just been failure to thrive. She could have had an internal problem. So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. really sorry about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by