stupid accidental chick death - I feel TERRIBLE :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by patandchickens, May 18, 2008.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I'm down to 19 now [​IMG] I went out this morning and everyone was happy. The little rooster-boy (they're only 18 days now, but he already has an enormous big red rack on his head) is still getting his comb pecked, so I wanted to put some blue stuff on, to hopefully make him less of a target.

I DID try to be slow and careful in trying to catch him, and really the chicks did not get that upset, but they did get a little fussed (they're in the 6x20 pen now, although they don't go too far from the brooder lamp). As I was tracking the rooster-boy I was after, I heard a great big flurry of wings and immediately a loud thud, behind me. I remember thinking 'gee, they really can *fly* now" but not thinking anything else of it, just figured one of them had clunked against the brooder hover or the side of the pen.

So I dealt with Mr Roo-Head, and looked around, and everyone seemed ok... but as I turned to close the door as I was leaving the pen, I heard a little flutter and saw one of the Sussex chicks on its back halfway down the long wall of the pen. To cut to the chase, it had evidently flown into the wall headfirst and was in its death throes. She (I think it was a she, anyhow) died in my hands [​IMG]

So she's buried under a hazelbush that I got the same day I picked up the chicks. I feel terrible. I don't know what I really could have done differently, I think it was just a freak accident, but it just really sucks [​IMG]

Worse, a similar thing happened to me two years ago, when I spooked a newly fledged robin (I didn't even know it was *there*!) and it flew across the lawn onto our deck, except it failed to clear the handrail of the railing and died of head injuries shortly thereafter.

Birds need a flight instructor on board til they've got more hours under their belts [​IMG]

Feeling awful,

Pat

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohhhh, I'm so sorry for your loss! Thanks for posting this, we can all learn from it, I never considered the potential for that. [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's terrible. [​IMG] So sorry for you loss. :aww

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  4. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Oh that's terrible - accidents do happen though. [​IMG]

5. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I'm so sorry that it happened. It was an accident and we'll all made them.[​IMG]

6. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    This is the sort of thing that worries me. I am only getting 7 chicks, which will max out my planned coop space. I worry that some unforeseen accident will befall one or more, and having so few to begin with, I will not have enough to fill my coop. It seems that you just cannot prevent every loss, no matter how prepared you are and how well you care for them.

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I was holding my welsummer this afternoon about 20 feet away from its brooder and it jumped of my hand and got clotheslined by the brooder i was like "what are you doing" She was fine but dumb.

8. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Accidents happen. I'm not sure what you could have done different. I would have done things the same way.
    [​IMG]

10. holsingerfamily

holsingerfamily Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Kentucky :)
    Oh my.. I am so sorry for your loss sweetie. One of my new chicks jumped off the top of the cage, luckily it landed on my bed near by but it scared the crud out of me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by