Stupid Alert: Can you spoil a baby chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blessedchickenmama7, Jul 25, 2008.

1. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Okay, the Polish Chick I posted about earlier that I thought was sickly has perked up and is eating and drinking. I am so relieved. But here's the problem. I held this chick and tried to hand feed it a good bit today. I kept it close as much as I could and tried to help it stay warm. (Figuring my 98.6 hands were warmer than the brooder...) It settles right in around my neck and hair or in my hands. But if set this baby down she squawks so loudly. It's a really loud, frantic sound. She's the smallest chick I've ever had with the loudest mouth I've ever seen on a baby chick. As soon as I pick her up she hushes and settles in for a nap. But she will cheep for a long, long time if I don't. In fact, I haven't been able to get her to hush more than a few minutes since I got her early this morning unless I hold her... Maybe I am a push over, but I keep holding her. She's moving well, eating well, is now as active as the others. She's just really loud and demanding it seems. Could something else be wrong? I keep telling myself no because she hushes when I pick her up and doesn't start again til I put her back in the brooder.

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    A good thing to help transition her might be to pick up and cuddle another 1 or 2 of the friendliest other chicks WITH her when you pick her up--Maybe choose on a special buddy one for her. Then she can learn to snuggle and feel safe with them--at first while you're holding them together, and then eventually after you put them down. Hope this idea can work & help! The cry of a distressed chick is a heart-mover, huh?

3. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    No doubt about that SpeckledHills! I did tonight hold her and the other two together. They all took a nap. When I put them back in the brooder she started again, but my husband absolutely is not going to allow her in the bed with us (I know it's not safe for her either), so I guess she's going to have to deal with it tonight.

I'm gonna put the brooder at the far end of the house though...

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Hello Mother Hen! [​IMG] She has imprinted you as mama so enjoy it. I have an 18 week old mama's girl....also fondly known as "Stalker Chicken" she follows me everywhere and rides in the van with me to my fav coffee shop to get my coffee. hahahahahahaha

5. safari_dave_2008

safari_dave_2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Don't worry,

Our first ever chick is the same situation as you.

My girlfriend has the chick all day and at night it goes in a box with a towel on top. We hang a mop head up in the box and a hot water bottle underneath the mop head. The little chick jumps into the mop head on his bottle and keeps warm feels safe and just chirps to himself until morning. When he was very small (1day - 1 week) we were up twice in the night to but fresh warm water in his hot water bottle but thats because we are in chilly england. Summer is here and we now just give him the water bottle as something to sleep on but still with his mop and the towel on top.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  6. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Well, I feel better now. I got up this morning and went to check on her. She's up, moving around, not cheeping loudly. Til I moved the light around and she looked up. Then she started again... It's ok, and I don't mind holding her alot (shoot, I like it). I was all into baby-wearing with my kids, but they don't make baby chick slings. Oh, well, since I think that's all it is, she just loves me and that's a good thing, I am relieved and content. Thanks for all the answers.

Sonia

7. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Quote:Hello Mother Hen! [​IMG] She has imprinted you as mama so enjoy it. I have an 18 week old mama's girl....also fondly known as "Stalker Chicken" she follows me everywhere and rides in the van with me to my fav coffee shop to get my coffee. hahahahahahaha

Cetawin,

How is your little one who was worrying you and you were nursing back to health?

Sonia

8. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    BlessedChickenMama "but my husband absolutely is not going to allow her in the bed with us"
    That's such a funny statement!!!
    Cheers

9. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I have one frizzle polish chick who is so soft compared to the others. She/He would rather be with me than the rest of the flock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    yes they do make chick slings they are called bras ( Yes I have had a lone chick before )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by